Since moving back to Lagos, I’ve found that weekdays here can be pretty hectic and stressful. One would think that getting to the weekend, the first thing that comes to mind is ME TIME, but that’s rarely the case. Weekends here are filled to the brim with activity, from weddings, hair appointments, and events to even putting in extra hours at work. Whilst there is nothing wrong with any of these things in themselves, I’ve found that indulging in some good old quality ME TIME leaves me refreshed, recharged and happy.
Here are some ideas on how to treat yourself on the weekends:
1. Try out a new exercise: Yoga, Boxing, Swimming or Spinning. At the moment, I am loving yoga at the LuvMeandMy Health Club.
2. Enjoy some culture: Plays, Art, Music or Books. Terra Kulture usually has a play on most Sundays.
3. Relax: Visit a spa for a massage/facial or chill by the poolside of a hotel. BMS in Ikoyi does great facials and has a super professional service.
4. Catch a game: Whatever the sport is, head down to a local sports bar and watch the game. Elliot Nass in Apapa has got some good chicken wings and a pretty chilled vibe, which is just perfect for watching sports games.
5. Go M.I.A: Check into a hotel and literally disappear for a few hours or for the whole weekend. Clear Essence Hotel seems perfect for this.
6. Movies: Catch the latest movie at the cinema or get some good snacks and do a movie marathon at home. Silverbird Cinema wins hands down, with popcorn like that no other cinema stands a chance.
7. Retail Therapy: Literally treat yourself to an item, small or big. I love Clan on Ajose and there’s always Temple Muse on Amodu Tijani.
8. Coffee? Get a lovely coffee or decadent hot chocolate to go. If you have time to spare, sit in and read a book or surf the net. Café Neo does such good coffees! I’m currently working my way through their menu.
9. Dine out: Put on your fancy clothes and treat yourself to a lovely dinner solo or with some friends. My all time favourite restaurant is Casa D’Lydia, but for a fancier location the Grillroom at the Wheatbaker will certainly do.
10. Treat Yourself List: Write down a list of things that you would like to do and then do them, one weekend at a time.
This weekend I’ll be treating myself to some lovely homemade cake, a yoga class and some retail therapy ☺.
For information on restaurants, spas, hotels, museums, theatres and shops check out the rest of the Lost in Lagos website.
Suddenly the music gets louder and all the waiters stop what they are doing and begin clapping...